Tents, Canopies and Temporary Membrane Structures
This permit is for the temporary erection of structures that are air-inflated, air-supported, cable or frame-covered, enclosures, shelters, constructed of fabric or pliable materials with or without sidewalls. Permits are required for tents with sides, membrane structures, and temporary stage canopies that exceed 400 square feet. This permit also applies to tents without sides that are more than 700 square feet.
Time Period & Purpose
- Structures shall not be erected for more than 180 days within a 12 month period on a single premises.
- Primary use of tent, canopy and/or other membrane structure will need to be indicated.
Fire Department Access roads shall not be blocked by tents, canopies and/or other membrane structures.
The Fire Department will need a site plan that includes:
- Distances to lot lines, buildings and other tents, canopies and/or other membrane structures.
- Square foot area to be covered (this determines occupant load, exit requirements, etc)
Other issues to be prepared for
- Exit requirements (number, size and signs) based on occupant load.
- Portable fire extinguishers
- "No Smoking" signs
- If being used as a cooking tent, other requirements will apply.
The City of Boise has recently launched a new online licensing system that allows you to apply for your fire operational permit online. First time users of this system will be required to set up an account.
- Login here
After logging in, click "APPLY > FIRE PERMIT" in the top menu bar.
- First time user? You'll need to create an account.
- Review and accept the online disclaimer and complete the application.
- In your application you will have the capability to request an inspection date and time. Note that the Fire Department will contact you directly to confirm your inspection time.
For questions or additional information on the new system, please visit the Permitting & Licensing FAQ's.