Public Fireworks Display Permit
This permit applies to the use of fireworks for a public display conducted by licensed and qualified operators.
For a complete application, you will need the following materials:
Site Plan that includes:
- Display Site (Detailed layout including all separation distance measurements compliant with NFPA 1123 including minimum secured diameter of site, vertical mortar, Angled Mortars Offset justification, and Mortars to Special Hazards)
- Discharge Site (Detailed layout including the location of all devices to be used during show, their required separation distances, and location of controllers)
- Fallout Area (Detailed layout including offset measurements)
- Preparation Area (Detailed layout including 100ft separation distance)
- Storage Area (Detailed layout including required separation distances and capacity)
- Buildings on or in proximity to the display site
- Names of nearby highways, roads, streets, alleys
- Special Hazard Locations (Combustible fuel locations, flammables, explosives, toxic substances, places of detention and correction, and health care facilities)
- Location of Possible Overhead Obstruction Locations and Utilities
- Location of “ALL” Spectator Areas
- Location of Flame Effects area affected by the flame effect device
- Supplemental fire protection features (Detailed Layout showing types and locations of required fire extinguishers)
A detailed list of devices that includes:
- Sizes to be used per show which shall include number and types of “ALL” devices to be used. This shall include their classification (aerial shell, cake, mine, salute, ground display piece, comet, lance, etc.).
- Type of match to be used (black, electric, quick match, etc.)
- Whether they are to be chain fused or individually shot.
A detailed list of Flame Effects to be used per show which shall include:
- Classification of effect (gas mine, ghost mine, etc.).
A detailed list of lift charges for gas mines including:
- Type of powder
- Sealing method of charge
- Fuel type (Gas, Diesel, Mixture, Cremora, LPG, etc.)
- Type of match used
A diagram of the mortar for flame effects showing:
- Pipe schedule size
- Wall thickness
- Securing method
A diagram of the mortar racks including:
- Detailing elevation of rack (if raised location provide elevation)
- Rack location (ground, trailer, stand, etc.)
- Construction elements of rack
- Mortar pipe schedule including type, size, wall thickness, height, width, and rack securing methods.
A copy of the written procedure for sequence of operations for ignition of fireworks and flame effects including:
- Ignition method (electronic, manual, automatic, etc.)
- Controller manufacturer
- Controller models to be used and type (automatic, handheld, manual)
- number of manual and electronic shooters
- source of manual ignition (fusee, torch, portfire, etc.)
A copy of the written procedure for a communication plan and methods between the Sponsor, Operator, Shooters, Spotters, and Emergency Personnel before, during, and after the show.
A copy of the written procedure for a safety plan including:
- Protocols for stopping the show for emergency response personnel, catastrophic failure
- Operator injury
- Hazardous debris falling into the audience
- Hazardous condition as deemed by AHJ or crowd control issue shall be addressed.
Included in this plan shall be the actions to be taken in the event that a shell fails to ignite in, or discharge from, a mortar or fails to function over the fallout area or other malfunctions, reporting methods and procedures for manually unfired shells including marking and warning of hazard to site personnel, and the disposal methods for unfired shells found in the post display sweep.
The City of Boise has recently launched a new online licensing system that allows you to apply for your fire operational permit online. First time users of this system will be required to set up an account.
- Login here
After logging in, click "APPLY > FIRE PERMIT" in the top menu bar.
- First time user? You'll need to create an account.
- Review and accept the online disclaimer and complete the application.
- In your application you will have the capability to request an inspection date and time. Note that the Fire Department will contact you directly to confirm your inspection time.
For questions or additional information on the new system, please visit the Permitting & Licensing FAQ's.