What is an Operational Permit?

An Operational Permit allows potentially hazardous activities within the limits of fire-related laws, codes, or ordinances.  

Who needs an Operational Permit?

Any individual or entity performing an operation regulated by the International Fire Code or other adopted City of Boise regulation needs an Operational Permit.

How do I apply for an Operational Permit?

Operational Permits regulated by Boise Fire may be found in the groups listed below. Please click on the group to see required submittal documentation and guides. Operational Permit Applications can be made through Boise’s Permitting and Licensing system. If you do not have an account, you'll have to create one - you can find instructions on account set up here.

To view applicable permit fees, please see the Fee Schedule.

To complete your application, you will need the following:

  • Address of Event
  • Contact Information for Applicant and other designees
  • Times for duration of event and requested inspection time (temporary use only)
  • Required documentation (as specified below)
  • Method of Payment

Who issues permits for new construction?

The Boise Fire Department issues the following for new construction:

  • Flammable and Combustible Storage Tanks
  • Emergency Responder Radio Coverage System

For all other permits relating to new construction, please visit Planning and Development Services for additional permit process information.

Temporary Use Permits

Special Use & Operations

Hazardous Materials / Chemicals





Business / Occupancy Related