Members of fire departments throughout the Treasure Valley are preparing to kick off the firefighter’s annual Fill the Boot fundraising campaign to help the MDA find urgently needed treatments and cures for muscular dystrophy, ALS and related diseases that severely limit strength and mobility. Hundreds of firefighters from Treasure Valley fire departments will fan out across the area with boots in hand for this year’s drive. Boise Fire Local 149 will be at the intersections of Fairview Ave & Milwaukee St., Franklin Rd. & Cole Rd. and Overland Rd. & Five Mile Rd. on Friday, May 18.
- Meridian Fire Local 4627 will be at the intersection of Locust Grove Rd & Fairview Ave on Thursday, May 17
- Caldwell Fire Local 1821 will be at the intersection of Chicago St & 10th Ave on Thursday-Friday, May 17–18
- Star Fire Local 4716 will be on Star Rd and in front of the Maverick Station on Thursday-Friday, May 17–18
- Nampa Fire Local 804 will be at the intersection of 2nd Ave & Yale St on Friday, May 18
- Gowen Field Fire Local 4571 will be at the intersection of Overland Rd & Orchard St on Friday-Saturday, May 18 -19
- Eagle Fire Local 4553 will be at State St & Eagle Rd in Old Downtown Eagle on Thursday-Friday, May 31–June 1
- Kuna Fire Local 4165 will be at the intersections of Deer Flat Rd & Linder Rd and Main & Ave D on Friday-Saturday, June 1–2
- Middleton Fire Local 4626 will be on Middleton Rd on Friday-Saturday, June 1–2
MDA and IAFF Partnership
As MDA’s largest national partner, the IAFF fuels MDA's mission to find research breakthroughs across diseases; care for kids and adults from day one; and provide families with services and support. IAFF support for MDA began in 1954 when the organization committed by proclamation to support MDA until a cure is found, and the organization's unwavering commitment to MDA has remained strong to this day. The IAFF raised $100,000 for MDA in 1955, and $1 million in 1970, and fire fighters continue to raise the bar in their fundraising efforts. In 2017, more than 100,000 fire fighters participated in Fill the Boot events across the country and raised $24 million. To date the IAFF has raised $630 million for MDA.
About the IAFF
The International Association of Fire Fighters represents more than 300,000 professional fire fighters and paramedics who protect 85 percent of the nation’s population. More than 3,200 affiliates and their members protect communities in every state in the United States and in Canada.
MDA is leading the fight to free individuals, and the families who love them, from the harm of muscular dystrophy, ALS and related muscle-debilitating diseases that take away physical strength, independence and life. We use our collective strength to help kids and adults live longer and grow stronger by finding research breakthroughs across diseases; caring for individuals from day one; and empowering families with services and support in hometowns across America. Learn how you can fund cures, find care and champion the cause at mda.org.