Boise Fire Department issues permits for a variety of events. The following list contains the most common requested permits. Permit fees vary according to the type of permit.

  • Bon Fires - Click on 46 - Bon Fires for Permit Supplemental Information.
  • Carnivals and Fairs
  • Exhibits
  • Open Flame - Click on 31 - Open Flames and Candles for Permit Supplemental Information.
  • Tents, Canopies or temporary membrane structures - Click on 42 - Tents for Permit Supplemental Information.
  • Trade Shows
  • Vehicle(s) in Buildings - Click on 27 - Vehicles in Buildings for Permit Supplemental Information.

Once an application is submitted, a Fire Inspector will visit the site of the event before issuing a permit. If you have an upcoming event and need information regarding permits, please call the Boise Fire Prevention Division at (208) 570-6500. Visit the Boise Fire Administration office in City Hall West at 333 N. Mark Stall Place to complete an application and submit payment. You may also print the Application for Permit and Fee Schedule.

Mail the application with a check made payable to Boise Fire Department to 333 N. Mark Stall Place, Boise, Idaho 83704. An appointment will be scheduled with you. Mailed applications must be received five business days prior to the event date.

Burn Permits

If you live within Boise City limits, a burn permit is required before burning natural vegetation on your property. Burning is only allowed along fence lines and irrigation ditches. A burn permit is good for each calendar year. There is no cost for the permit, and forms are available at the following station locations.   

Burning hours are from 8:00am to sunset. Burning shall not take place on days when adverse weather conditions create a safety hazard. Prior to burning call the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) at (208) 373-0313 for the recorded air quality index (AQI) message of the day. Open burning is prohibited when the AQI reaches 60 or higher for any pollutant.   Click here for the DEQ website for daily controlled burning information.

Residents who live in the Whitney Fire District, please refer to Ada County website on Ada County safe burning requirements. Click here

Storage Tanks

The removal or installation of storage tanks require a permit. This applies to under ground or above ground tanks. Permit fees for tanks vary according to size, class, and number of tanks.  A diagram of the site must accompany the Application for Permit.  Please contact Fire Marshal Romeo Gervais at (208) 570-6567 for more information.