In December of 1901, Boise's Mayor and City Council proposed eliminating the all volunteer fire program and create a new professionally paid Fire Department. Six months later an ordinance was passed to establish the Boise City Fire Department. Major Liddell takes over as part-time Chief on June 6, 1902 and held the position until September 8, 1903 when Mayor and City Council wrote an ordinance to make the rank of Fire Chief a full time position. The Department has been under the leadership of fourteen Fire Chiefs since 1903. Five times in the history of the Department, an Acting Chief has filled an interim vacancy. These dedicated individuals are Charlie Tucker in 1939, Walt DeBlieck in 1984, R.V. Rose in 1987 and 1989, Renn Ross in 1992 and Jeff Ramey in 2007.