FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 17, 2017
Members of Fire Departments throughout Treasure Valley kick off the firefighter’s annual Fill the Boot fundraising campaign to help the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA)
Treasure Valley, ID, May 18-20 & June 2-3, 2017 — Members of Fire Departments throughout Treasure Valley are set to kick off the firefighter’s annual Fill the Boot fundraising campaign to help the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) find urgently needed treatments and cures for muscular dystrophy, ALS and related diseases that severely limit strength and mobility. Hundreds of firefighters from Treasure Valley Fire Departments will fan out across the area with boots in hand for this year’s drive.
- Boise Fire Local 149 will be at the intersections of Fairview Avenue and Milwaukee Street and Overland Road and Five Mile Road on May 19th (9 a.m – 4 p.m.)
- Meridian Fire Local 4627 will be at the intersection of Locust Grove Rd & Fairview Ave on Thursday, May 18th
- Caldwell Fire Local 1821 will be at the intersection of Chicago St & 10th Ave on Thursday-Friday, May 18th–19th
- Eagle Fire Local 4553 will be at State St & Eagle Rd in Old Downtown Eagle on Thursday-Friday, May 18th–19th
- Star Fire Local 4716 will be at Star Rd on Thursday-Friday, May 18th–19th
- Nampa Fire Local 804 will be at the intersection of 2nd Ave & Yale St on Friday, May 19th
- Gowen Field Fire Local 4571 will be at the intersection of Overland Rd & Orchard St on Friday-Saturday, May 19th -20th
- Ontario Fire Local 3464 will be at the intersections of SW 4th Ave & SW 4th St and outside Walmart on Saturday, May 20th
- Kuna Fire Local 4165 will be at the intersections of Deer Flat Rd & Linder Rd and Main & Ave D on Friday-Saturday, June 2nd-3rd
- Middleton Fire Local 4626 will be on Middleton Rd on Friday-Saturday, June 2nd-3rd
“For more than 60 years, firefighters have stood on the front lines with MDA in the fight to free individuals — and the families who love them — from the harm of these life-threatening muscle diseases,” said MDA Idaho Executive Director, Autumn Hume. “Each year, Treasure Valley firefighters dedicate countless hours of their time participating in Fill the Boot drives and at MDA Summer Camp. We're grateful for their steadfast support and uncommon caring toward the kids and adults we serve and look forward to working together once again to make this Fill the Boot season a huge success.”
Hundreds of dedicated firefighters in hometowns across Idaho hit the streets asking pedestrians and motorists to make a donation to MDA, using their collective strength to help kids and adults live longer and grow stronger. “We know the money we raise definitely makes a difference in the lives of local families living with life-threatening diseases, and that it helps them get the care they need,” said Boise Fire Local 149 Fill the Boot Coordinator, Craig Martin. “Fill the Boot is a proud tradition for us, and it’s a great way for firefighters to be out in the community reminding residents that we are here, always ready to help.”
Funds raised through 2017 Treasure Valley Fill the Boot eventhelp MDA’s efforts to fund groundbreaking research and life-enhancing programs, such as state-of-the-art Care Centers, including the MDA Care Center at St. Luke’s Hospital in Boise, as well as support groups that take place throughout Treasure Valley.They also help send more than 40 local kids to a life-changing experience in an environment without barriers at MDA Summer Camp at Quaker Hill Camp in McCall - all at no cost to their families.
MDA and IAFF Partnership
As MDA’s largest national partner, the IAFF fuels MDA's mission to find research breakthroughs across diseases; care for kids and adults from day one; and provide families with services and support. IAFF support for MDA began in 1954 when the organization committed by proclamation to support MDA until a cure is found, and the organization's unwavering commitment to MDA has remained strong to this day. The IAFF raised $100,000 for MDA in 1955, and $1 million in 1970, and firefighters continue to raise the bar in their fundraising efforts. In 2016, more than 100,000 firefighters participated in Fill the Boot events across the country and raised more than $24 million. To date the IAFF has raised more than $607 million for MDA.
About the IAFF
The International Association of Fire Fighters represents more than 300,000 professional firefighters and paramedics who protect 85 percent of the nation’s population. More than 3,200 affiliates and their members protect communities in every state in the United States and in Canada.
MDA is leading the fight to free individuals — and the families who love them — from the harm of muscular dystrophy, ALS and related muscle-debilitating diseases that take away physical strength, independence and life. We use our collective strength to help kids and adults live longer and grow stronger by finding research breakthroughs across diseases; caring for individuals from day one; and empowering families with services and support in hometowns across America. Learn how you can fund cures, find care and champion the cause at mda.org.