FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 23, 2017
Boise Fire Chief: Today’s ruling shows that those who purchase illegal fireworks and set them off will be held responsible for the damage
Today An Ada County judge found 19-year-old Taylor Kemp caused last summer’s Table Rock fire when a Roman candle he lighted tipped over and ignited nearby dry grass. In February, Kemp pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor violation of Ada County’s fireworks ordinance. This week’s hearing was to determine whether him setting off that illegal firework caused the larger wildfire, he will be sentenced on Friday.
“What we need is legislation that would help prevent fires caused by the sale of illegal fireworks in Idaho, but this sends a strong message that those who purchase illegal fireworks and set them off will be held responsible for the damage those aerial fireworks can cause. The Tablerock fire cost taxpayers $341,000 dollars and it was a huge burden on our resources fighting this 2,500-acre fire. It also put the lives of firefighters and homeowers at risk. With wildfire season upon us it’s more important than ever that those who purchase these illegal fireworks know there are serious consequences to setting them off,” said Boise Fire Chief Doan.