Boise Fire Department
News Release

Dennis Doan
Boise Fire Chief


Contact: Tammy Barry
Communications Coordinator
Cell: 208-982-0737

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Hot Lamp in Snake Cage sparks Duplex Fire

Boise, May 25, 2013, 9:00 pm - Boise Fire investigators say it appears four families have been displaced from their homes after a hot lamp in a snake cage ignited a fire in a four-plex. 

What Happened: Boise firefighters were called by a resident at 7:15 this evening reporting fire in a closet in an upstairs unit of the four-plex on the 2200 block of S. Amy St. in Boise.

Firefighters en route saw a column of dark smoke coming from the area and immediately called for a second alarm.

Firefighters found fire in the closet, and into the attic of the unit. Although firefighters were a le to get the flames out within about 15 minutes, all four units suffered fire, heat, smoke or water damage. The Battalion Chief on scene says it appears residents of all four units have been displaced. All are receiving assistance from the local Red Cross and the Boise Fire Union Burnout Fund.

Cause: it appears a heat lamp in a snake cage ignited contents of the closet.

No one was injured. Several other pets lived with residents in the complex, however other then the snake, no other pets were injured. Firefighters say the snake did not survive.

###